My word for 2021 is heal.
I didn’t think I would choose a word this year. Last year, my word was “progress.” I had started my comic during the holidays. I wanted to continue my tarot deck. There was a podcast I wanted to get back into doing… And don’t get me started on my YouTube channel…
I laugh now looking back. Even before the pandemic shut everything down, I was going through trauma. And the pain and blows kept coming.
- I lost my job in March.
- People I thought were my friends ghosted me when that happened. That hurt so much.
- There were huge conflicts in my marriage.
- I had a run in with a racist while out with my son in June on his birthday.
- Loved ones tested positive for COVID.
I could keep going…
It has been. A YEAR.
But, my word for 2020 always sat there in my mind. And I tried to make what little progress I could in my life. And was not a total failure.
- I launched my shop officially in September.
- Losing my job meant staying home with my family and my son just… blossomed. His anxiety lessened and we finally got him out of diapers. He sings. He dances. He’s a little boy.
- Ellie has grown a lot and her personality has developed so much. She is expressive and lets her wants be known.
- My husband and I are working on how we communicate and express our feelings.
- And in the last few weeks, I have gone back to working on my tarot deck.
I still feel battered and bruised. My anxiety is through the roof most days. And there isn’t a day I don’t worry about money and if my kids are getting enough food… It’s me dealing with the trauma and stress.
Trauma. That’s what we’ve all lived through this year.
So. Even though I did not think I would pick a word for the new year, I think I need some kind of reminder to be gentle with myself. For me, 2021 will be about taking the time to heal.
What is your word for 2021?
Wishing you a calm and quiet new year.